Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I had no idea what to buy. None

So my brother and girlfriend are having a baby. (as everyone in my life knows) Tanya has been pregnant FOREVER and I know the baby is going to be here any day now.
We don't now if the baby is a girl or boy- and I admit it's kind of exciting to not know... there are so few real surprises left in the world that it's nice to have something like this to look forward to.
I was talking to David the other day, asking how it was going, were they ready etc... and he said they had everything to go (mentally and materially, as much as they could) except not a lot of clothes. I think people are waiting to hear if it's a girl or a boy before they purchase clothing items. (I know when my Mom and I went to the baby GAP to find some 'gender neutral' clothing, we might as well have gone in looking to buy a unicorn. It doesn't exist.)

Anyhow, a very dear friend of mine gave me some advice and said that when her daughter was born she went through onesies like I go through peanut M&Ms. And that a good place to pick them up was Sears. There's no need to spend piles of money on an 'outfit' that the baby will wear two times, and the stuff at Sears is the same quality etc... just costs waaay less than Baby GAP or Baby "insert brand name here". And who needs to pander to "marketing" ?!

So having had that conversation with David about needing clothes, and having had that conversation with JD, on my way home from work I stopped by the Sears. And spent 25 minutes wandering around the baby section a) looking for gender neutral stuff/unicorns and b) not having ANY idea what to get.
I had thought "onesies. done"
But no.
It's not that easy.
Do I get onesies (I like that word) with feet? Without? long sleeves or short? With hand mittons? Or buy the hand mittons separately? What about short legs but long sleeves? Or no legs (they look like a baby gymnastic leotard) and long sleeves? (I'm assuming so you can put pants on over top?!). I don't know!!!

And everything was in a million different racks with no rhyme or reason or order. There were a million different colours and fabrics and designs that all kind of looked the same but shades of difference (maybe?). Half the stuff says clearance but isn't and has by the pound sizing instead of size sizing. It was very overwhelming and impossible to navigate. I ended up walking out of there with nothing. And walking into a Zara - where I went to the "Baby" section and bought some really cute, probably overpriced, days of the week onesies. They were easy to find and smartly packaged up all nice and market-y for people like me. Me- Me who needs to pander to marketing. I admit it.

And you know what? I'm the aunt- so it's okay.

No comments: